Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: 421-8H Series II

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Strat2805's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2004
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Red face

    I have a pair of 421-8h series II Speakers that I want to use in a bi-amped pa system with 511E horns and 288-16G drivers. I need to build a set of cabinets to the Thiele Small parameters of the 421-8h series II speaker. There are several software packages that calculte the box design, but when I try to use them, they ask for attributes other than those listed on this website. I simply do not know enough about it. I want to make a simple box design with the speaker front mounted and a bass port on the bottom front pannel, similar to the Yamaha S115V. Does any one know what specs I should use for my design?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member cclark65's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2003
    Posts
    339
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Here is a listing of what the 421 series were used in:

    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ers/page09.jpg

    You should be able to find cabinet specs somewhere for them, and get a good start there. Here are a few altec plans:

    http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...ltec-plans.htm

  3. #3
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    For a modest fee, the T/S parameters for your speakers can be measured for you as one of the services provided by Iconic Mfg. Co.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Typical PA tuning dictates a fairly high tuned, somewhat underdamped alignment, so based on some old measured specs I have, a ~2.92ft^3 cab tuned to ~55Hz works for me: 22" x 17.187" x 13.75" inside dims with a 6" dia. x 3.25" vent.

    Some folks will accept more 'ringing' than me to get more midbass efficiency, so you may want to try it first with just a 6" diameter hole cut in the baffle (3/4" min. assumed).

    GM

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Strat2805's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2004
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    What dimensions would you use if the port was vented and not round, similar to the vent on a 816-A?

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    A square of the same area, though of course it can be a rectangle up to a ~9:1 aspect ratio, but testing different vent lengths is a pain compared to a round tube.

    GM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.